Monday, December 23, 2013

Media Monday #15


Hello Everyone,

Today is the Monday before Christmas and sadly this is not a Christmas theme Media Monday but I have a lot great stuff to share with you. I'll start off with movies.


This past week I went and saw American Hustle starring Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper, Christian Bale, Jennifer Lawrence. I had a hard time following the plot line of this movie but when I could understand what was going on it was a very good movie. All the actors did an amazing job in their roles. Jennifer Lawrence is definitely not Katniss in this movie. I would suggest seeing it at least twice to completely understand what was going on.

Next is gonna be a book series that many people know about and I just read all three books within 6 days! I loved them, the series is called Divergent by Veronica Roth. I'm sure many of you have heard of these books or maybe have even read them. I loved the story of Tris and Tobias and all their friends throughout all the books. For those of you who don't know the story, the future citizens of Chicago live in a society that is divided into five factions, each one meant to uphold a particular virtue of humanity: Abnegation, meant to uphold selflessness; Amity, meant for the peaceful; Candor, meant for the honest; Dauntless, meant for the brave; and Erudite, intended for the knowledgeable. On a given day each year, all sixteen-year-olds take an aptitude test that will tell them for which faction they are best suited. After receiving the results of their test, they must decide whether to remain with their family or transfer to a new faction. Sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior was born into an Abnegation family, but selflessness has never come naturally to her like it does her brother, Caleb. She feels lonely and constricted by her environment and feels like she does not belong. When the time comes for Beatrice to take her aptitude test, the results are inconclusive: instead of fitting neatly into any one faction, she shows equal aptitude for three: Abnegation, Erudite, and Dauntless. This makes her "Divergent" and she is warned never to share this information with anyone for fear of her life. Even for a Divergent, it is very rare to have results with three factions. On her way home from the aptitude test, she encounters a factionless man who grabs her hand and frightens her. This makes her feel very nervous because she does not want to end up like him and is wary about risking her normal lifestyle and failing. She does not want to upset her father, who is certain that she will remain in Abnegation even though she is skeptical. On Choosing Day, much to her and her parent's surprise, Beatrice makes the decision to leave Abnegation and join Dauntless, while her brother Caleb chooses Erudite. She immediately leaves to join her new faction and her new home. Beatrice, who renames herself Tris when she reaches the Dauntless compound, becomes good friends with fellow transfer initiates Christina, Al, and Will. Another transfer initiate, Peter, quickly sets out to antagonize her as he does not believe Tris is good enough to be in Dauntless. Peter also has two friends, Andrew and Molly, who back him up as he tortures Tris. She is also introduced to their instructor, Four, who explains that they must pass an initiation process before they are accepted as full-fledged Dauntless members. They must rank in the top ten at the end of initiation, or else they will be dismissed and become factionless. (wikipedia) I'm sorry I got the description from Wikipedia. I just couldn't figure out a good way to explain it. I loved this book series. I HIGHLY recommend this series to anyone.

I believe that is it for this Media Monday. I got music but it isn't new or I've already talked about it. I hope you enjoyed this! I hope you all have a Merry Christmas! I'll be posting a Christmas Haul on the 26th or so. Be checking back for that!

Merry Christmas,
~Britt





No comments:

Post a Comment