Monday, February 4, 2013

Tips and Tricks to Surviving your Period

I was talking to my friend last night during the Super Bowl, she was talking about how her period was starting and how a dance was coming up and how she couldn't eat the chocolate she usually craves. Today, I learned that salmon is really good for your period cramps because they lessen them, and I thought this was pretty interesting. So that got me inspired to do a "Tips and Tricks" to survive that awful time of the month.

Tip 1: Comfortable sweats or jeans are your new found best friend. Yoga pants are great because they (for the most part) are black, cute, and they go with pretty much everything. Your jeans shouldn't be too tight, as this can be a nuisance if you get lower belly cramps. Also, wearing an old pair of spandex over your underwear (but under your pants) can help if you tend to bleed through.

Tip 2: Engage in physical activity, light cardio especially. If you're able to. Exercise will make your period shorter. You might want to exercise while taking a pain medicine, to help avoid cramps. However, sports may also make your stomach pains worse, so assess the situation and don't push yourself.

Tip 3: Wear the right panties! There is special underwear called Adira Period Panties, which are both comfortable and leakproof. If you don't have a pair, a pair of black ladies boxers that aren't too tight around the abdomen will work fine.

Tip 4: Take painkillers. The cramps are caused by the egg being released from the uterus. Ibuprofen will most likely help, but different things work for different people. If cramps are an issue, a heating pad might help lessen the pain.

Tip 5: Get your sleep! This will keep your body in balance, you wont feel as bad, and help you feel more relaxed. Stress makes your flow heavier, and well.. That sucks. So, take a hot shower, do some deep breathing, and stay as relaxed and rested as possible.

Tip 6: Keep track of how often your period comes. This will help you prepare for the days of discomfort. Also, you can let your close friends and family know. Personally, I get super moody right before I start, so I let my mom know so she isn't questioning my bipolar behavior.

Tip 7: Don't let cravings go unsatisfied. If you let cravings go unsatisfied then it might make you . When you are eating foods on your period, make sure you eat something that will ease the pain whether that food be salmon or bananas (which are both high in protein.) Or if you crave ice-cream, substitute it with frozen yogurt or something that you wont regret eating later. Sometimes, a nice mocha frappe from Starbucks is all I want. I don't know why, but for me, it eases the cramp pain.

We hope these tips help you, and feel free to ask questions! Below are some comics that made me laugh, so I thought I would share. :) Have a good week, ladies!

~ Britt 







No comments:

Post a Comment